Missions: click here for meeting link
Our Church By-Laws direct the Missions and Social Action Committee to: assist the church in its mission of “Becoming Like Christ and Making Him Known.”…reaching out in Christian love and service to those in our own and around the world. […] and providing education to the parishioners about a variety of social problems.
Lion of Judah
Dear Friends of Lion of Judah,
Hart Inlow, founder of LOJ, has updated us on the flooding around Lake Victoria and particularly the damage at the Lion of Judah Academy in Bulima, Tanzania.
- The pump for the water system has been replaced thanks to a generous donation.
- However, teacher housing for three families is completely underwater. The pump house for the water system is inundated. The teachers had to be relocated to other housing. It is unlikely any of these buildings can be used again. A new pump house, along with two deep sumps, plumbing and electric, is urgently needed.
- The school gardens are under two feet of water. The gardens of several teachers, which they rely upon for supplemental income, are submerged and destroyed. Livestock (cows, pigs, chickens, etc.) have been displaced and some have died. These gardens (“shambas”, in Swahili) have been major sources of fruit, vegetables and meat for the students…as well as important sources of income for the school and teachers.
— We must build a new pump house right away; this will require $8,000 – 10,000, including the costs related to plumbing and electrical work, along with the construction of two deep sumps required for the operation of the pump;
— We need to provide displaced teachers with temporary housing; eventually we will need to relocate and rebuild damaged and destroyed teacher houses. This requires about $300 a month and eventually several thousand dollars to rebuild the homes;
— We want to assist teachers as they seek to relocate their gardens until lake levels normalize; we estimate this will cost around $3,000.
Please pay for God’s protection for LOJ, its teachers and students, and go to this link to learn more and to donate:
We support The Oratory of the Little Way, nestled right next door in Gaylordsville! Oratory of the Little Way
Other Overseas Missions: Latin America Mission. United World Mission. Lion of Judah (Tanzania, Africa) — 53+ students are supported by our congregation in addition to helping with facilities improvements such as water
Local Missions and Social Action Quarterly Support:
- The Oratory of the Little Way (healing ministry, Gaylordsville, CT)
- Loaves and Fishes (New Milford Food Pantry)
- Radio Bible Class (RBC) (Daily Bread, bringing the Gospel around the World)
On the third Sunday of each month, the congregation gives to special needs.
Examples of these collections include: Hopeline, The Conservative Congregational Christian Church emergency fund; Westconn Ministries serving Danbury; Christian camps; Soldier Relief care packages; CRU Cornell University; Community Relief Christmas Eve Collection. Every year the slate of special collection ministries is reviewed and revised.
Through the generosity of many, we collect funds throughout the year for our neighbors, which is overseen by the Missions committee and the Pastor. Monies are forwarded directly to services/vendors to help with heating, mortgage and other dire family needs. With the economic downturn affecting so many, this ministry is crucial to alleviating want in our community; we feel God has truly blessed this ministry.
Other Special Projects:
Christmas Boxes for World Vision; cookie plates given to those in need of cheer, get well wishes, sympathy, or “thank you for all you do”.
In the words of one of our most loved past Mission Chairs, “Truly, you have loved one another. May we all continue to grow and serve the Lord as we become like Christ and make him known.”
Links to Some of the Missions Mentioned Above: